Sunday, October 7, 2012

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble.....Gulp!

For anyone reading this that ISN'T in Canada.....it's Thanksgiving Weekend here. And what does that mean for most families....FOOD. And Lots of it!

My family has 2 events this weekend.....currently we are up at my parents house and then we head to my husband's family gathering.......for me this is the start of SO many temptations!! And with my Biggest Loser weigh in on Wednesday...ugh!

But...I'll be honest....it's been so far so good....except for the last few days when I ended up getting NO workouts in:(.....some mornings I have an amazing amount of energy, and some I have NONE (that and a few new business things have come along my way and they have monopolized my time in the mornings....but not starting Monday....it's back to the grind!)

So back to the "feasts" that I will be exposed to......first....visiting my parents. Where my parents live, the community comes out to support everyone and everything......whenever an event/fundraiser is held, you know pretty much the community and surrounding areas are attending...so you need to get there FAST and early! We had to(my mom wanted to) leave the house at 10:30..now mind you the event didn't start until 11 and the Community Centre is only a 2 minute drive away......BUT there was a LINE UP to get IN!!

This weekend at my parents, the area Church holds their annual Thanksgiving Fundraiser....which comprises of a bake sale, crafts, and other goods that people in the church have decided to make and sell (all $$ is donated back to the Church)....there  is also a large donation table, where large businesses have donated amazing items, and for $1.00, you get 5 tickets to place infront of the item you'd like to win and then cross the fingers and hope to get a call.....we didn't get a call.......nuts.

Usually my mom does all her own baking...cookies, etc....but lately she's been backing off (which isn't a bad thing......then she has more time to take care of herself and do what she wants to do)....and purchasing pies, cookies and chocolate treats at this fundraiser.....so not only is she STILL supplying us with yummy treats....she's supporting her community.

So...after fighting (nicely) the crowds to get the pies...I took them to the car and then went back inside....met my mom at the chocolate table.....oh my....my mouth was watering!!! But...I resisted temptation and only got my boys a treat....well, I knew that whatever my mom got, some of it was coming home with us anyhow....
then later on, we had an amazing Thanksgiving Dinner....turkey, turnip, squash, peas, potatoes and my mom's yummy, irresistible crock pot stuffing....oh, and did I mention Cherry Pie and ice cream for dessert?
Needless to say...I ate. And ate. I even had a few extra bites of stuffing FROM the crock pot....at this point, my husband ``reminded`` me of the progress I`ve made in the last 4 weeks (thanks for being nice about it dear!:).......AND because we get to do it all over again Sunday, he didn`t want to see me spiral out of control (which would usually happen!)......so my game plan was to ``indulge`` some at my parents, and keep it in check at his family dinner......so I will REALLY need my strength for this one....that and I think I`ll take a veggie platter....that way I can just munch on veggies through the day.....then I`m back to the workout schedule and regular daily routine.

For me...Thanksgiving is the start of my busy time.....first, Thanksgiving, then Halloween (I know it`s not a holiday, but there is candy involved)....then my son`s birthday and party, and then 6 weeks after that...Christmas and New Year!! Phew....I`m already tired just thinking about it!!

But, in the end, it`s nice to be able to get together with family and friends and celebrate holidays and events. Unfortunately my brother wasn`t able to join us this weekend, but my parents are going to have Thanksgiving dinner and visit with him on Sunday....some times plans work, and sometimes they don`t...luckily I can talk to or see my brother whenever, so missing one family meal together isn`t the end..

but back to the grind Monday....
happy health

No comments:

Post a Comment